Sunday, October 16, 2011

Gifts

Prompt#1: On any gift-giving occasion, what sort of gift (clothes? gadgets? toys? books?) do you always look forward to? Why?


It took me a while to answer this question mainly because
1. When I really want something I buy it myself.
2. I don’t even know what I want.
3. I’ve learned never to expect.

Then again, who wouldn’t want to receive GIFTS!
Aside from the thought that comes from gifts, the most important thing is the giver. It will always be the person and not the thing that comes first.

If it’s a part of my immediate family I often expect more. But yeah, after a few years (or after last years’ birthday) my eyes have been opened. No, I mustn’t expect at all.

Why?

Gifts are voluntary given and must never be expected from someone. It is a special favor or symbol of someone remembering you in the process.

Still…

The best gift anyone could give me is the gift of presence.

I am not a lonely person rather I put great value in a simple touch, a gesture, a smile, an email, little post it notes, nice dinner and inexpensive candies.

Don’t get me wrong I love expensive gifts. I love it too much I can’t even afford it myself!! XD
The truth is I look forward to the thoughtfulness and the sincerity of the gift bestowed upon me. This is not hypocritical since I will go back to my first answer; it is the giver. The person is the most important in this process.

If a person can afford an expensive gift but gives me a dollar store keychain I will feel unloved but a simple dollar store item given to me by someone who can barely shop speaks heaps to my heart.

Call me sentimental but my mind works in the quirkiest way.

I am reminded by the woman and the alabaster jar of expensive perfume. She poured everything over Jesus feet. It is not the fragrance that touched Jesus heart; it is not the price or the amount of sacrifice.

It was her heart.

Her love.

Her appreciation.

She gave her best.


So let me go back to the question answering it with the best gift I received.

I received it not on my birthday, it’s not even Christmas. It is an ordinary rainy day in July a few years back. It was not expensive; it’s a small orange daisy from the streets of Uni. It was not the first flower I received in my years of existence but somehow it touched my heart.

I am appreciated.

It was the best gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment